The 66-foot tall steel flagpole was installed at the corner of Bush and Mendota by the administration building (Building 21) in September 1941.
On October 4, 1941, the 3M Club sponsored a flag-raising ceremony. The flag had flown over the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C. It was raised by the color guard of the Dayton’s Bluff American Legion Post while the 3M Company Band played the “Star Spangled Banner.”
Because of its height and location, the flagpole has remained a prominent feature of the 3M Saint Paul campus.
Another company-wide ceremony was held on May 26, 1944, when the Treasury Department Minuteman flag was added to the flagpole. It marked the participation of 90 percent of 3M employees and 10 percent of payroll savings in the Fourth War Loan Bond drive.