Trinity/Saint Stephanus Lutheran School got its start downtown in 1861 as Trinity Lutheran School. In 1888, the church congregation bought property at Lafond and Grotto and built a new two-story wooden building. The first floor was used for primary grades and the second floor for worship services until a church could be built. In about 1917 the school was physically moved, from facing Grotto Street to facing Lafond Avenue.
Students from Jehovah Lutheran School in Hamline-Midway began attending St. Stephanus School in 1942. Soon the Trinity, Bethel and Redeemer congregations joined to form the Central Lutheran School Association. A new school was built at 775 N. Lexington Parkway in 1951 to serve students from several Lutheran churches. Saint Stephanus School was torn down in the 1950s and replaced with the church’s Christian Education wing in 1958.