Jackson Preparatory Magnet School, 437 Edmund Avenue, is the only Saint Paul Public School left in the neighborhood. The oldest section of the current building dates from 1924. The building was expanded over the years. Its building and play area occupy an entire city block.
Jackson was named for Andrew Jackson, the seventh president of the United States.
Jackson’s current building is of a design similar to other St. Paul Public Schools of its era. Note the bas-relief book designs above the original doors on the Edmund side of the building. Also on the Edmund side of the building is a flagpole that honors all of the Jackson alumni who served in World War II. It was given by the Jackson School Class of 1945.
The original Jackson building was built at MacKubin and what was then Ellen Street in 1880. Ellen Street is now Sherburne Avenue.
Franklin (at 690 Jackson St.); Scheffer (at Marion and Thomas Avenue); and Drew (at Thomas and Avon), were the neighborhood’s other public elementary schools. Scheffer and Drew were torn down. Franklin’s 1960-era building is still standing but is owned by the City of St. Paul and is used by the Boys and Girls Club, as is the former Valley Recreation Center it is connected to.