Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church


This file appears in: Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church
Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church

- 103-105 University -
Christ Lutheran Church on Capitol Hill was built in 1913 as Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church. The congregation was founded in 1854, as a Scandinavian Lutheran congregation of immigrants. Swedes, Norwegians and Danes worshipped together initially but soon split into separate churches. A group of Norwegians who wanted to hold onto their heritage banded together in 1868 and incorporated the Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of St. Paul.

Photographer: St. Paul Dispatch & Pioneer Press

Date: Approximately 1913

Image courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society


This file appears in: Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church