Italians

By the early 1900s, the river flats of Upper Landing gradually passed to the Italian immigrants from the region of Molise in south-central Italy. “Little Italy” was a thriving, almost self-contained community on the Upper Levee, below the High Bridge, from the early 1900s to the 1950s. Serious flooding over many years finally led the city, in the mid-1950s, to begin condemnation and acquisition of houses on the levee. Several well known Italian family businesses (Bonfe’s, Cossetta’s, DeGidio’s, DiSanto’s, and Mancini’s), continue operations on West 7th Street today.

Images

Four men on upper levee

Four men on upper levee

Pictured: Angelo Cook and Leonard (Guv) Todora Date: 1940 Image courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society View File Details Page

Cossetta Food Market

Cossetta Food Market

Date: 1952 Image courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Jim Sazevich, “Italians,” Saint Paul Historical, accessed June 23, 2017, http://saintpaulhistorical.com/items/show/40.

Subjects

Share this Story