A Stroll Up East Seventh Street

East Seventh Street was the main business strip of Dayton’s Bluff starting in the 1870’s. The railroad tracks just to the north attracted industry which, in turn, promoted the building of worker’s houses that joined the fashionable homes of more prosperous neighbors. At the time people walked or used horses to get around. Then the streetcar arrived on East Seventh and, starting on June 15, 1889, ran from downtown to Duluth Street.

Because horses could not easily make it up the steep hill, a cable car was used. It was replaced in 1893 when the system was electrified. East Seventh was one the main arterials in an out of downtown and eventually it went all the way to the suburb of White Bear. Like other streetcar strips, businesses lined both sides of the street.

Mom and pop stores served the needs of area residents who could find what they needed by walking up East Seventh, although they could take the streetcar to the large department stores in the city’s center. People later became more mobile when automobiles were more commonplace. Seventh Street stores suffered somewhat because of the lack of easy parking as residents could get to outlying suburban establishments.

Like the developments in transportation, there were also changes in the demographics in the surrounding area. Today the neighborhood is quite diverse and many of the stores reflect newer arrivals. You might keep this in mind as you stroll up Seventh Street and look at some of its landmarks.

Images

East Seventh Street

East Seventh Street

Present day photo looking west towards downtown. Date: September, 2013 Photo by: Kimmy Tanaka View File Details Page

East Seventh Street Station

East Seventh Street Station

- East Seventh Street and Duluth Street - The streetcar arrived on East Seventh starting on June 15, 1889, and ran from downtown to Duluth Street. Photographer: Edmund A. Brush Date: Approximately 1910 Image courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society View File Details Page

Fritz Woost Groceries and Provisions store

Fritz Woost Groceries and Provisions store

- 1252 East Seventh Street - Mom and pop stores served the needs of area residents who could find what they needed by walking up East Seventh, although they could take the streetcar to the large department stores in the city's center. Date: Approximately 1895 Image courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society View File Details Page

Dayton's Bluff State Bank

Dayton's Bluff State Bank

- 919 East Seventh - Date: 1919 Image courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society View File Details Page

East Seventh Street Bridge

East Seventh Street Bridge

To Dayton's Bluff, view of the city across Swede Hollow and Phalen Creek. Photographer: Charles A. Tenney Date: Approximately 1880 Image courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society View File Details Page

East Seventh Street

East Seventh Street

Present day photo looking east with CLUES pictured to the left. Date: September, 2013 Photo by: Kimmy Tanaka View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Steve Trimble, “A Stroll Up East Seventh Street,” Saint Paul Historical, accessed July 23, 2017, http://saintpaulhistorical.com/items/show/248.

Subjects

Share this Story