German House, or Deutsches Haus at 444 Rice St., was a community focal point for decades. In the 19th and early 20th century, Saint Paul had dozens and dozens of German groups – singers, musicians, dancers, gymnasts or turners, sports groups, cultural preservation groups and other organizations. Many needed a permanent home and after years of discussion the German House was built in 1920, at 444 Rice St. the three-story, $180,000 building was a showplace, with a 1,000-seat theater, bowling alleys, pool rooms, conference rooms and a rathskeller. A wide range of groups used the space through the 1940s. During World War II it was renamed American House. It was torn down in 1958 to make way for the capitol approach.