In 1900, because of large attendance in the park, a small refreshment pavilion was built at Earl Street. It was sometimes used for concerts. Unfortunately, it was burned down the next year “evidently the work of vandalism.”
The current pavilion at Earl and Mounds Boulevard was completed in 1916. A city report called it a "commodious and well designed building” meant “to serve the public as a refreshment stand, a concert pavilion and comfort station, all of which were for a number of years requested by the public.”
This Prairie-style structure, with its low-hipped roof and horizontal feel is a rarity in the Twin Cities since most other Prairie style buildings are houses or commercial buildings. It was designed by Charles H. Hausler, who was born in Saint Paul and apprenticed with Louis Sullivan in Chicago before getting a Minnesota architect’s license in 1908. Six years later he became the first City Architect and designed many municipal buildings and other structures some of which are on the National Register of Historic places. In 1923 he started a political career and served eight terms in the Minnesota Senate, afterwards returning to private practice.