Crane Building

- 281-87 East Fifth Street (at Wall) -
- 1904, Reed and Stem -

In 1897, Crane and Ordway Company led the Northwest in the manufacture of valves, fittings, and supplies for steam engines. Their engines probably powered the hoists used in constructing Lowertown buildings and drove the freight elevators that made the multistory structures practical. A year after the completion of this building, Lucius P. Ordway gained control of Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing, which became 3M, now one of Minnesota's most important corporations.

Images

Crane and Ordway Company

Crane and Ordway Company

Photographer: Charles P. Gibson Date: 1906-07 Image courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society View File Details Page

The Crane & Ordway Company Advertisement

The Crane & Ordway Company Advertisement

Main office: East Fourth Street, St. Paul. From: "Saint Paul's Historic Lowertown: A Walking Tour," created by the City of Saint Paul and the Saint Paul Heritage Preservation Commission, 1988 View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

City of Saint Paul and the Saint Paul Heritage Preservation Commission, 1988, “Crane Building,” Saint Paul Historical, accessed June 23, 2017, http://saintpaulhistorical.com/items/show/217.

Related Tours

Share this Story