- 258-60 East Fifth Street (between Wacouta and Wall)
- 1883 -
This narrow storefront preserves the scale of Saint Paul buildings from the generation preceding the warehouses that dominate Lowertown today. Italianate details like the tall windows and heavy cornice brackets enjoyed great popularity. Such buildings rarely survive the competition for space except in small towns. Cast-iron columns still bear the founder's stamp: Washington Foundry, Adams and Isher Co., Saint Paul. The building housed James H. Mahler's carriage and buggy dealership until 1889, when it became part of the expanding Gotzian Shoe Company complex.