- 413 Wacouta Street (between Sixth and Seventh) -
- 1893-94, Cass Gilbert -
The Boston Northwest Realty Company saw great money-making potential in the commercial expansion of Saint Paul, Minneapolis, and Duluth in the early 1890s. They built a warehouse in each city, choosing Cass Gilbert to design the Saint Paul structure. The handsome corbelled brick cornice and graceful windows demonstrate the attention to detail that earned Gilbert his national reputation. More important to the first tenant, T.L. Blood's Northwestern Paint Works, was the "slow-burn" construction. Exterior walls of brick support massive, fire-resistant timbers. Cast-iron columns provide interior support without taking up valuable space. Today, tenants choose this building for its meticulous renovation and ready access to the skyways.