St. Paul Foundry Office Building

Most of the industrial buildings in and around the Dale Street shops were large, utilitarian structures. One exception was the main office building for the St. Paul Foundry, which stood at 500 Como Av. The two-story brick building was designed by noted architect Clarence Johnston, The building was commissioned by foundry owner C.M. Powers and built in 1901. The brick building had many attractive features, including brick and stone detailing, arched windows, transom windows and rafters supporting broad eaves. It had a tall and prominent flagpole as well. By 2000 it was gone, making way for the great Northern Business Park. But it lasted longer than the nearby Foundry Park, a North End park on Burgess Street where factory workers took breaks

Images

St. Paul Foundry Company

St. Paul Foundry Company

- 500 Como Avenue - Date: 1921 Image courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society View File Details Page

St. Paul Foundry Company

St. Paul Foundry Company

Photographer: St. Paul Daily News Date: 1917 Image courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society View File Details Page

St. Paul Foundry Company

St. Paul Foundry Company

Date: Approximately 1900 Image courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society View File Details Page

St. Paul Foundry Company

St. Paul Foundry Company

- 500 Como Avenue - Date: 1885 Image courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Jane McClure, “St. Paul Foundry Office Building,” Saint Paul Historical, accessed May 23, 2017, http://saintpaulhistorical.com/items/show/194.

Subjects

Share this Story