Past Matron's Grove

Inside of the municipal forest is an almost forgotten historical remnant. Its first mention appeared in the St. Paul Park Department records at the turn of the last century: “The grove will be known as the Past Matrons Grove of the Order of Eastern Star and will be used as a gathering place for members of the order." It was created in a section of the Municipal Forest, a short hike south of where today’s Burns Avenue and Point Douglas road come together in an area once referred to as “Six Corners” because of the earlier intersection of three roads.

The trees of the grove were placed in the shape of a star, the emblem of the O.E.S., a Freemasonry organization. From records, it appears that the group initially planted ten hackberries as memorials to past matrons, their presiding officers. Others trees were dedicated at different times as additional memorials. It seems to have been years since it has been visited by the O.E.S. and, while deteriorated, hikers with careful eyes can still find the remnants of the Past Matron’s Grove if they head into the edge of Municipal Forest.

Images

Point Douglas Road and Burns

Point Douglas Road and Burns

View from east of the Indian Mounds Park. Saloon at 1347 Burns (left). The Matrons Grove of the Order of Eastern Star was created in a section of the Municipal Forest, a short hike south of where today's Burns Avenue and Point Douglas road come together in an area once referred to as "Six Corners" because of the earlier intersection of three roads. Date: 1942 Image courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society View File Details Page

Municipal Forest, eastern edge

Municipal Forest, eastern edge

View from Obb's Sports Bar & Grill on Burns Avenue. Date: August, 2013 Photo by: Kimmy Tanaka View File Details Page

Municipal Forest, eastern edge

Municipal Forest, eastern edge

Date: August, 2013 Photo by: Kimmy Tanaka View File Details Page

Municipal Forest, eastern edge

Municipal Forest, eastern edge

Date: August, 2013 Photo by: Kimmy Tanaka View File Details Page

Municipal Forest

Municipal Forest

Along one of the unpaved paths, accessible from Clarence Street and Burns Avenue. Date: August, 2013 Photo by: Kimmy Tanaka View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Steve Trimble, “Past Matron's Grove,” Saint Paul Historical, accessed June 23, 2017, http://saintpaulhistorical.com/items/show/187.
Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info

Share this Story