The Ford Building, 117 University Av. W., was built in 1914. It was designed by John Graham, with the firm of Keyes and Coburn. It was a sub-assembly plant for ford motor vehicles, only turning out about 500 vehicles per year. It and a Minneapolis plant were replaced when the Highland Park Ford plant opened in 1925.
The building was used by different business before the State of Minnesota purchased it. The state operated its bookstore in the building for several years. State officials have considered knocking it down. It has been identified as one of Minnesota’s endangered businesses by the preservation Alliance of Minnesota.