Saint Adalbert School

Saint Adalbert School, 260 W. Edmund Avenue. The school first opened its doors in 1882, using spaces including the priest’s residence and the sacristy as classroom space. A wooden school was built and initially staffed by a lay teacher until 1885. After that the Sisters of Saint Francis served the parish and school until 1908, when the Felician Sisters took charge.

A brick building with limestone foundation was built in 1901. The building featured a large Palladian window at its main entrance.

Enrollment topped 500 students in the 1950s but began declining in the 1960s. Nuns left the school in the early 1970s and lay teachers were hired again.

Saint Adalbert School closed in 1986, with just three girls in the eighth grade graduating class and 14 pupils in the entire building. The school was used for a time by a food shelf and community agencies, then reopened as a charter school. New Spirit School began in the building in 1998, and then expanded its programs to the former Saint Vincent de Paul Catholic School. The program is now Saint Paul City School. The building has been enlarged since it became a charter school.

Images

Saint Adalbert's School

Saint Adalbert's School

Celebrating 1000 years of Christianity in Poland Photographer: St. Paul Dispatch & Pioneer Press Date: May, 1966 Image courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society View File Details Page

Saint Adalbert's School

Saint Adalbert's School

Celebrating 1000 years of Christianity in Poland Photographer: St. Paul Dispatch & Pioneer Press Date: May, 1966 Image courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society View File Details Page

Former Saint Adalbert School

Former Saint Adalbert School

Saint Paul City School, South facade Date: July, 2013 Photo by: Kimmy Tanaka View File Details Page

Former Saint Adalbert School

Former Saint Adalbert School

Saint Paul City School, North facade Date: July, 2013 Photo by: Kimmy Tanaka View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Jane McClure, “Saint Adalbert School,” Saint Paul Historical, accessed May 26, 2017, http://saintpaulhistorical.com/items/show/164.

Share this Story