Mount Airy Homes

Jackson and Mount Airy Streets

The original Mount Airy neighborhood was one of modest, immigrant housing along winding and crooked streets. It was originally home to workers for the area’s railroads and industries. Its first residents were Scandinavian.

The neighborhood’s sandy soils and slopes made construction a challenge, and mudslides occurred from time to time. By the mid-20th century the neighborhood became known as the Badlands. City officials considered it to be one of Saint Paul’s worst slums.

Mount Airy residents were relocated and the neighborhood cleared in the 1950s. Saint Paul Public Housing built 298 dwelling units there. The homes were renovated in the 1990s and a new community center added.

The streets in the housing development are named after Saint Paul servicemen.

Images

Looking north along Mississippi Street

Looking north along Mississippi Street

From a point between Mount Airy and Glencoe Streets Date: November 6, 1917 Image courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society View File Details Page

View of St. Paul from the Mount Airy Bluff

View of St. Paul from the Mount Airy Bluff

Date: Approximately 1870 Image courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society View File Details Page

View of St. Paul from the Mount Airy Bluff

View of St. Paul from the Mount Airy Bluff

Date: Approximately 1970 Image courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society View File Details Page

Stairs from Mount Airy Street to Valley Street

Stairs from Mount Airy Street to Valley Street

Date: 1926 Image courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Jane McClure, “Mount Airy Homes,” Saint Paul Historical, accessed June 23, 2017, http://saintpaulhistorical.com/items/show/158.

Subjects

Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info | Next

Share this Story